Dear Miss JW,
What do you think about pajama pants? I'm not talking about the bedtime ones, but the fashionable type of pajama pants that seem to be everywhere these days. I love them but am a little scared that I'll look like I've just stepped out of bed if I wear them. Have you got any style advice for me?
Working in the fashion industry -- where emails need to be sent early in the morning and events are attended late in the evening -- leaves hardly any time to sleep! And as someone who is constantly sleep deprived, the pajama pants trend is one that I easily fell in love with.
Real pajamas are a big no-no but designer trousers are a different story. Typically printed with bold patterns and colours that take courage to wear, this trend is defined by its material nearly as much as its cut.
A sister to the harem pant that's slightly more conservative in the crotch, but still spacious around the hips and thighs and with tapered ankle-biting legs, pajama pants are simply the link between harem and normal pants.
Maintaining your stylish composure is important, as you don't want to look as though you're sleeping on the job or missed your alarm this morning. In order to pull this trend off, you've got to style it right. To go back to your question, the trick is to maintain the softness that the pants express:
1. Match it with super cute cropped T's, tied shirt vests or a sleeveless button-up top, and make sure you look for quality material and luxurious fabrics to maintain a high-end look.
2. Delicate ballet flats (stay away from Keds or Hush Puppies) are a stunning combo with the pajama pants, as are statement sandals. Or, opt for sky high heels that will sharpen your look instantly!
3. A belt will cinch in your waist, defining your shape and keeping any bunching of your apparel under control.
3. A structured, leather bag and stacks of necklaces or bracelets will ensure that you look properly accessorised, making for a look that's far from sleepy.
4. My favourite add-on is definitely a blazer, an essential piece for glamourising your outfit.
5. Finally, here are my top picks for pajamas pants in Hong Kong this season:
Till next time,
Do you have some burning fashion questions for Miss J? Send them to her via Twitter @HongKongStylist or email email@example.com to get them answered on the upcoming editions of "Ask a Stylist".
Jasmine Webster is a Hong Kong fashion stylist and blogger (www.dressmeblog.me) who's all about fashion made REAL for REAL people - still with a bit of glitz and glamour to keep things interesting along the way.